Monday, March 28, 2016

Peanut Dressing for Salad, Spring Rolls, etc

A few days ago I decided I wanted to eat a salad with some kind of peanuty dressing.  I don't even know where the idea came from, but a quick google search found numerous recipes.  I went with one of the first ones and I've been pretty enamored with it ever since.  I've had it on salads and also used it as a dipping sauce for some vietnamese spring rolls that came on a hike a couple of days ago.  Delish!


The recipe comes from here: http://www.onceuponachef.com/2013/07/thai-crunch-salad-with-peanut-dressing.html

I basically follow the dressing recipe as is and put whatever I want in the salad itself, but here's a summarized version with my minor variations:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey 
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (double this if you want it sweeter)
  • 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1-inch square piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves

Method:

Throw everything except the cilantro into the blender.  Blend until smooth.  Add in the cilantro and pulse/mix on low just enough for it to get chopped up and mixed in nicely (not so much that the whole thing turns green).

No comments:

Post a Comment