Sunday, September 8, 2019

Grilled Salmon

I think I've been making grilling fish harder on myself than I really should... this was the easiest grilled fish I've ever made and among the tastiest (though I don't know if anything is likely to top the super fresh halibut fillets we had earlier this year).

The recipe comes from The Spruce Eats: How to Grill Salmon in 3 Easy Steps

I added a miso glaze when I put the fish on the grill, and I used a side of coho, cut in half. I also failed to maintain the temperature of the grill, so I added about 50% to the cooking time (according to the temp gauge on our bbq, I put the fish on at about 425F and the temperature dropped to just over 300F for a big chunk of the cooking time, so I left it on longer than they suggest).

Here is roughly what I did - this made almost exactly the right amount to feed 6 adults and 4 kids:

Ingredients

  • in my case, a little more than 1kg worth of skin-on salmon fillets (1 side + 1 large fillet)-- any size/amount of fillets will do. See original recipe for tips on dealing with other cuts (basically put tin foil under it)
  • 1/2 lemon (optional)

Glaze

(this made way more than I needed - you could definitely half the recipe):
  • 2 tbs white miso
  • 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbs mirin
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp sesame oil

Method

  1. Mix together the glaze ingredients in a small dish and set aside
  2. Heat the grill to med-high heat and clean it
  3. If you're not lazy, rinse and dry the fish and pull out pin bones (see original recipe) - otherwise skip this step
  4.  Rub both sides of the fish fillets with olive oil and put skin-side down on a dish or tray
  5. Just before putting it on the grill (I did it after, which is probably why I lost so much heat), brush the top (non-skin) side of the fillets with the glaze. Don't overdo it as excess glaze could lead to flare-ups
  6. Transfer fillets, skin-side down, onto the grill (I used 2 spatulas)
  7. Cover and monitor the temperature if that's easy for you to do... one recipe I read suggested using the outer 2 burners on a 3-burner grill - I just turned the middle one down low
  8. Don't touch it - just cook for 10-15 mins for a 1-inch fillet + 10 minutes per additional inch. Watch for the white fat to show on the top.
  9. Remove to a serving platter. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over top if you have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment