Thursday, September 21, 2023

Strep throat survival soup, AKA Cream of Broccoli

 I have been plagued by a recurring bout of strep throat ever since mid August. I’m on my 3rd round of antibiotics now! Thankfully, the subsequent bouts have not been as bad as the first one, when this soup really was one of the few things I could eat that also filled me up and satisfied cravings for green food and protein. I have turned to it again this time around, knowing that if things get worse, this is one meal I will still be able to enjoy.

I had never made cream of broccoli soup before strep throat and I don’t know if it would taste so good if I wasn’t sick, but if you ever find yourself unable to eat solid or acidic foods and want something filling and hearty, I recommend it!

Here’s the original: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13313/best-cream-of-broccoli-soup/. I haven’t really made any changes to speak of.

Ingredients

  • 2 + 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, diced finely
  • 1 stalk celery, diced finely diced
  • 3 cups homemade chicken broth
  • 8 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Pepper to taste (if your throat can handle it)
  • Salt to taste

Method

  1. Melt 2 tbs butter in a med-large soup pot. Sauté onion and celery until tender.
  2. Add the broth and the broccoli, cover with a lid, and simmer 10 minutes
  3. Purée with an immersion blender until smooth
  4. In a small pot, melt the remaining 3 tbs butter. Add the flour and whisk together. Add the milk and stir regularly while you heat this mixture until it starts thickening and gets a little frothy/bubbly. I use a small whisk for this.
  5. Add the milk mixture to the broccoli part and stir well.
  6. Optionally add some pepper and/or salt to the pot, or just do this when it’s in your bowl.

Feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment