Monday, May 9, 2016

Yum Neua - yum yum!

I can't believe I've never tried to make Yum Neua before... this is one of my favourite Thai dishes that I also often tend to forget about. 

I found a recipe here and followed it pretty closely though I had to make a few substitutions based on what I happened to have (and not have) on hand: http://www.food.com/recipe/yum-nua-thai-beef-salad-89165

Changes I made to the dressing:
- I didn't have fresh chilies, so I used a small amount of dried chili flakes (probably less than 1/2 tsp which made for a salad with mild spice but far from spicy)
- I didn't have lemon grass, but I slivered a lime leaf and added the zest of the 1/2 lime I happened to have
- Since I only had 1/2 a lime, I added its juice plus the juice of half an orange (instead of all lime juice)

Changes I made to the salad:
- I only had about a third of a cucumber (and I certainly didn't bother to remove the seedy bit), so I also added a handful of quartered cherry tomatoes
- I had some basil, so I added that too
- I didn't have shallots, so I used a small bit of onion finely sliced and I mixed it with the dressing

Changes to the preparation:
I put half of the fresh herbs in with the beef as the recipe calls for, but I put the other half in with the lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes.  We tossed the beef mixture with the lettuce and veggies right before serving.

 Anyhow it was absolutely amazingly delicious!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Just the sort of meal we love. Adding the basil made it very Thai, indeed. (Aunty Lori)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! Just the sort of meal we love. Adding the basil made it very Thai, indeed. (Aunty Lori)

    ReplyDelete