Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Cobbler!

I've never made cobbler before, but I wanted a quick to prepare, summery, baked, delicious dessert and it seemed like it might fit the bill...

I started with http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51535/fresh-southern-peach-cobbler/, but made a few minor tweaks...

Ingredients

Fruit part

- I didn't bother to peel them and I only had three peaches so I added 2 apricots and a bunch of blueberries (510g in fact)

- I used less... more like 1/8 cup.  You could reduce the white sugar too.




Cobbler part

This isn't exactly how I made it, but it is what I'd try if I did it again...





1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces

Cinnamon Sugar for the Top

I happened to have some cinnamon sugar already on hand - I don't think I used more than about a tablespoon in total - here's what the original recipe says:




Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine everything in the "fruit part" list.  Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a large pyrex baking dish (I used the big rectangular one). Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients from the cobbler part.  Blend in butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined (it should still be quite crumbly, but without powdery flour left loose).
  4. Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. I formed little mounds on the spoon (trying not to handle the topping too much) then plunked them on top.  
  5. Sprinkle entire cobbler with your desired quantity of the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.
Enjoy warm with ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment